Thursday, September 11, 2008

Relay!



Tonight was the 4 x 50 freestyle relay. Dave swam the second leg and was in second place when he did the exchange. We ended up fourth - it should be on Universal Sports since it was a final. It took a long time for the results to come up - looked like a DQ was in the making. AND China's time did not go up right away. We held our breath. It was a DQ but not China or anybody that would have moved up but the DQ wasn't charged to the USA either. We thought Dave looked good doing the freestyle. After tomorrow he will have done all the strokes at least once. It's his big day tomorrow. Cheer loudly! I know it might be midnight for you all but cheer in your dreams! After all the theme here is ONE WORLD ONE DREAM.

The awards ceremony touched me tonight. One of the men who is blind got a bronze. I think he was from Canada. The metals are very stunning and they have braille on them, too. This young man fingered the bronze quite awhile - reading the braille then a smile broke out. That made me gulp a few times. How proud he was to get that medal. This was the award ceremony for the S11 which are those who are totally blind. Can you imagine diving into a pool of water - not knowing when you are going to hit or where? I know they do it all the time so it probably isn't that remarkable to them but it certainly is to me.

Our team is still doing very well. We went 1-2 in some events. Keep it up USA!

Jerrica, Zack and I went to Tianamen Square and the Forbidden City today. We had to do it quickly so we could get back to the Water Cube. We also saw some events in the Bird Nest - wheelchair racing. I could get to be a fan of that. As we were wandering around Tianamen Square, I asked Zack if he could ask someone to take a picture of all of us. He said sure and pointed to some people and said he bet they spoke English. They did! They were from Alabama so like a well trained Auburn Fan, I hollered "War Eagle!". They responded louder (but there were 3 of them) "Roll Tide!" They took our picture anyway. It turns out that their son is a wheelchair racer. Small world isn't it?

Thanks Alabama for taking our picture and good luck to your son. and brother.

2 comments:

Cheryl said...

Arrrgghhh - I watched most of the morning here in the studio and managed to miss the relay. But Terri - it took my breath away when I saw your post about the blind Canadian swimmer - I was sitting here with tears in my eyes during that moment, and got goosebumps when I realized that half a world away, you were noticing and thinking the same thing I was - we were completely connected! Talk about a small world! Cannot WAIT for tomorrow's swim - GO DAVO!! Hugs all around...
xoxoxoxo,
Cheryl

Glenn said...

I can't wait to watch him swim tomorrow. Wish I was there. I'm anticipating this more than Michael's 8th race a few weeks ago. Please tell him how exited I am for him. GO DAVO!!!!