Friday, September 12, 2008

100 Breast SB4

Dave finished 9th in his event - just missed finals by .05 seconds. RATS! I think I got it on video and will download and try to set it up here. He did knock off another 3 seconds of his best time though. I don't know how tired the athletes are but being a fan is taking a toll. We have to race to our spots for the finals - everybody thinks the Americans have the best spot and so do we. The Chinese have a high regard for those who can swipe a spot from someone else. It doesn't matter whether it is while walking, driving, or finding a seat in a venue. They start learning spatial relations early here.

While we were in the Temple of Heaven, a little boy was riding a bike with training wheels. He must have been about 3. He was weaving in out of people who were walking along the sidewalk and missing their toes by inches. He never hit anybody though. Now imagine that little kid as a taxi driver 30 years later. Somehow these folks just know how to squeeze into tiny spaces and yet I haven't seen any road rage, or foul tempers. It just is. So if they can swipe a good seat from a Yank, there are congratulations all around. On the other hand if we are bold in refusing them the seat, they are okay with that, too.

So today we went to the MacDonalds on the Green. A real American MacDonalds. The Chinese love MacDonalds, I think there were about 10 million of them standing in line and 5 more million milling around outside waiting to get in. I maneuvered my way into line and Tom was supposed to find a table for us. No luck, they were too sneaky getting in under him. We went upstairs and there were items on two chairs and an empty table. We just moved the items, sat down and ignored the people who picked up their items. They didn't say anything - we were pretty quick and when the rest of their family came in we were done and they got their table back. I took a picture of the millions of Chinese ordering MacDonalds. I'll post it later.

Kinda tired - hope to get some more stuff written before we leave on Sunday. David said he will be in the Medley Relay on Monday - alas, we will be home by then unless Hurricane Ike changes our plans.

1 comment:

Glenn said...

Man... 5/100ths. :( Tell him I said I'm still thrilled that he got to go, and what a great experience to swim at the Olympics. I only wish I could be there watching him swim with you. What a thrill for everyone. I can't wait to hear from Dave as well... I know he's going to put his usual spin on it all... which lifts us all up.

Thanks so much for all the posting... really makes a lot of us feel connected.